Domain Name System
Welcome to the web hosting tutorials, we already covered How to register a domain, and today we will cover Domain name system and its short is DNS. Today, what we are going to see is:
- What is Domain Name System?
- Use of Domain Name System
- How Domain name system works.
Don’t worry, after completion of this article you will say yes, I know above three points. Let’s cover each topic one by one.
Domain Name System
DNS work is very simple, it will translate the domain names into IP addresses, and it will allow you to reach an internet location by its name(Domain name). If your domain name is easy to remember, then anyone will reach to your website location without knowing the IP address of your domain.
For example, let’s suppose you have a website called sharplesson, and if somebody will ask you what is your website address. Instead of giving domain name, if you will give him/her an IP address of your website: 18.104.22.168, what do you think which one is easy for him to understand? Sharplesson or 22.214.171.124.
Use of Domain name system
The Domain Name System is like a telephone directory, if you know the telephone number of a particular person, then you can find his name/address or vice versa.
Same with Domain name system, if you know the IP address or website name, then you will reach to the particular blog or a website.
How does Domain name system work
Now we will see DNS working in more detail, Let’s see what happens behind the scene. What do you think, Is it as simple as typing the domain name and getting the expected result? No, it’s not, it takes a series of steps and let’s see what are those steps:
- Request – When you will search for www.sharplesson.com, then your computer will first see the local dns cache. If it will not find it in your recent visits, then it will perform a second step.
- Ask Your ISP Recursive DNS server– This is the second step, where your query will go to your Internet service provider’s recursive DNS server, Most probably your computer will get solution here. And you will get the result for your search query “ http://sharplesson.com”. If your Isp recursive dns server doesn’t have the solution, then Nameserver will play an important role.
- Role of NameServer – Now in this step, ISP recursive servers will ask the root nameservers. If they will not know the answer then they will ask the Top level domain nameservers and if tld nameservers don’t know the answer, then they will fetch information from the relevant nameservers that have the responsibility of a specific domain.
- At Last – Information will transfer in the reverse order and will get stored in local dns cache, and your computer will get the final answer and you will see the result in the browser.
Don’t worry, you need not to learn it or will not require it at any time during blogging. But in case if you got stuck somewhere in technical terms, then it will help you to understand.
If you are availing the best web host for your blog or a website, then you need not to worry about any technical terms, and as per trend the top 3 web hosting service providers are:
- Hostgator – Get 25% discount, using SHARPLESSON25
- DreamHost – Get discount using, SharpLesson45.
- BlueHost – Use our promotional link to get benefits.
Note: If you are planning to start a blog or a forum, then make sure you will not compromise with the quality.
We have just covered DNS and its working, Don’t forget to get a quality web host. Because any mistake of yours will suffer your website or a blog.
What next? Next we will see why to buy expired domain.
If you liked our content on Domain name system, then share it on your network or like us on Facebook. If you have got any query or suggestion, then write to us: sharplesson[at]yahoo.com.